We just released the very best version of WP Recipe Maker up until today: version 9.1.0. Read on for the highlights and a full changelog or update right away!
Link Amazon Products to Equipment
We already had the ability to set regular affiliate links, images or HTML code for equipment items. Now you have another option by directly associating your equipment item with Amazon products.
To get started, you will need to add your Amazon PA API credentials on the WP Recipe Maker > Settings > Amazon Products. Once you’ve done that, the WP Recipe Maker > Manage > Recipe Fields > Equipment page will have an option to search for Amazon products by name or ASIN:
Using the Template Editor you can edit the “Recipe Equipment” block to choose how your equipment should be displayed. You choose if you want to use the images or not, and what size they should display in. So everything can be styled exactly the way you want to!
Learn more in our Amazon Products documentation.
Take note that this feature is only available in WP Recipe Maker Premium and up.
Automatically convert Amazon SiteStripe code
While the Amazon Products integration above was already on our todo list, we did move up its development a bit because of Amazon’s announcement that they would phase out the “Image” and “Text+Image” HTML code they provided through SiteStripe.
We have plenty of customers that were adding those as “Equipment Affiliate HTML Code” and those are set to stop working on December 31, 2023. To accommodate those customers, we created the Amazon Products feature above and also provided a convenient way to convert the existing HTML code to this new products integration, no manual work required!
If you want to make the switch, make sure both the free and Premium/Pro/Elite plugin are on this latest 9.1.0 version and go to the WP Recipe Maker > Tools page to find the “Amazon Affiliate Links Migration for Equipment” section.
To convert your Amazon Affiliate HTML code you have 2 options:
- Convert to Products will convert to the “Amazon Products” feature above. Your equipment will look similar, as it will be loading the same image. This will only be possible if you have access to the PA API and have those credentials set.
- Convert to Regular Links is the alternative for those that do not have access to the PA API, for example because you don’t have enough sales to qualify yet. By converting to regular links you will still have your affiliate links and could manually add an equipment image through the manage page.
If you convert to regular links today, you could always convert those regular links to products later on.
…and plenty of other Improvements
If you don’t use Amazon as your affiliate partner, the above features aren’t really useful, but I’m happy to let you know about some other improvements that made it to the plugin in this new release:
It is now possible to pick a different recipe roundup image for your own recipes, which doesn’t have to be the recipe image itself. The recipe image will still be displayed by default, so it just gives you yet another option.
On the WP Recipe Maker > Template editor page you will find a new Shortcode Generator. It’s a useful feature for those that use recipe shortcodes outside of the recipe card (for example integrated directly into your theme) as it offers an easy way to set up the shortcode exactly the way you want and copy it with the click of a button.
When using the JSON export and import feature you can now include user ratings with the JSON export. This means that your user ratings can stay intact when moving recipes between sites.
We highlighted just a few of the new features/improvements/fixes above. Below you can find the other changes in version 9.1.0. Check out our documentation for a full history.
WP Recipe Maker Premium 9.1.0
- Feature: Select different image to use for recipe roundup item
- Feature: Shortcode generator without going through template
- Feature: Clone glossary term on manage page
- Feature: Setting to disable display of days for recipe times
- Improvement: Allow the use of / in recipe slug setting
- Improvement: Prevent images from being clickable in Gutenberg Preview
- Improvement: Settings for default nofollow or newtab for roundup items
- Fix: Loading of HTML code in the rich text editor
- Fix: Quotes when adding inline ingredients
- Fix: “Only show published posts” for regular posts roundup item
- Fix: Glossary term tooltip breaking ingredients into multiple lines
- Fix: Prevent PHP warning on some print pages
- Fix: Searching by date on manage pages
- Fix: HTML and shortcodes in Roundup List text field
- Fix: Only track approved comments in analytics feature
- Fix: No Pin setting for external roundup items not always working
- Other: Remove everything related to “My Emissions” because of shut down
WP Recipe Maker 9.1.0
- Feature: Link Amazon Products to equipment
- Feature: Include user ratings with JSON export and import
- Improvement: Generate thumbnail sizes in background to prevent timeout during import from JSON
Updating should be possible through the Plugins page in your own WordPress backend. If there are any issues, check out our documentation on updating WP Recipe Maker.