We just released the very best version of WP Recipe Maker up until today: version 8.8.0. Read on for the highlights and a full changelog or update right away!
Better Unit Conversion for Cups
Cups can be tricky, since they are often used for both solid and liquid ingredients. In the metric system you would expect solid ingredients to use a weight unit (like grams) and liquid ingredients to use a volume unit (like millilitres). When using the unit conversion feature this could sometimes result in some very strange conversions, like “250ml flour” or “125g water”.
The latest 8.8.0 update improves this conversion algorithm and should result in more accurate conversions, making it faster to handle this portion of the recipe entry!
Take note that this feature is only available in WP Recipe Maker Pro and up.
Accessibility has been improved by adding aria labels where needed and providing more context in some cases. Keyboard accessibility for the adjustable servings feature has been improved as well. And when adding labels in the Template Editor, you now have the option to specify an accessibility label. That way you could have a label that only consists of an icon, but still provide the necessary context for screen readers.
Our Yoast SEO integration was improved as well, using a better method for referencing the author metadata that Yoast includes, while making sure no metadata issues pop up in some edge cases.
Some enhancements for the Manage pages have made it to this new update too. The screen could get a bit cluttered because of the many columns that can be toggled on or off at the top. These are now hidden away by default and can be shown with just a click.
Once shown, we now made it easier to find the columns you want to see by grouping them together.
You might also notice a new “# Ratings Given” column where you can order recipes by the total number of ratings they have received! Take note that you might have to run “Find Recipe Ratings” on the WP Recipe Maker > Tools page first, if ordering is not working.
Another improvement you might notice is the ability to move blocks in the Template Editor. Check the full list of changes in the list below!
We highlighted just a few of the new features/improvements/fixes above. Below you can find the other changes in version 8.8.0. Check out our documentation for a full history.
WP Recipe Maker Premium 8.8.0
- Feature: Better unit conversion selection for ingredients using cups
- Feature: Set icon color for collections feature
- Improvement: Immediately indicate stars as having been voted for after clicking
- Improvement: Accessibility for adjustable servings feature
- Improvement: Accessibility for taxonomy term archive links
- Improvement: Setting to not show “Share Edit Link” in shopping list
WP Recipe Maker 8.8.0
- Feature: Use %total% placeholder in roundup counter block
- Feature: Move blocks in template editor through UI
- Feature: Bulk add equipment through manage page
- Feature: Order by total number of ratings
- Feature: Change padding for stars in comment form
- Feature: Set optional accessibility label in Template Editor
- Improvement: Ability to hide list of columns on manage page
- Improvement: Better method for referencing author in Yoast Integration
- Improvement: Less clutter on manage page by hiding column selection
- Improvement: Subsections for the meta container block
- Improvement: Prevent browser extensions from breaking ingredient entry form
- Improvement: Setting to set your own Microlink API key
- Improvement: Accessibility for recipe times
- Improvement: Accessibility for image links
- Improvement: Try to prevent incorrect redirect on print page when using caching plugins
- Fix: Don’t show print toggles if fields are not part of template
- Fix: Setting ID for snippet shortcode not working
- Fix: Rich text editor placeholder position in Safari
- Fix: Check if Rank Math schema module is active when using integration
- Fix: Don’t change comment star color when use custom style setting is disabled
- Fix: Comment rating compatibility when loading form through AJAX
Updating should be possible through the Plugins page in your own WordPress backend. If there are any issues, check out our documentation on updating WP Recipe Maker.